Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sea Change

Dear Mr Trivia,

I hope you won't be offended but I think my problem might be more effectively handled by Mr Bostwick.

Mr Bostwick, I have been a dentist for 20 years and although I have considered throwing in the towel many times, I have always continued in this awful, awful job. Last year there was even a moment when I considered burning my dental surgery to the ground so I could collect the insurance money!

However, recently I have joined a local community theater and I have really enjoyed playing bit parts in STREETCAR, OUR TOWN, ANNE OF GREEN GABLES et al. Recently our director, Bernard, has offered me the role of Daddy Johann Sebastian Brubeck — The leader of the Rhythm of Life Church in SWEET CHARITY.

My question is this? Should I hold out for a major role like Oscar Lindquist?

Regards,

Lane Twipper
(Not My Real Name)
NEWPORT



Dearest Lane,

Make no mistake, Oscar Linquist is an utter pill! The man is a cube - ie six times worse than a square!! It's really an awful scoldy, sad, emasculated nothing of a role.

Since you are rising in the ranks there is no need to get too greedy too quickly. In the 1986 Broadway production of SWEET CHARITY (Debbie Allen was a smash!) I took on the role of Big Daddy even though I was clearly over-qualified. Other than If They Could See Me Now, the song Rhythm of Life is the unqualified hit of the show. You won't have much time on stage, friend, but what there is will be 100% sizzle!

Carpe Diem, Lane!

Barry Bostwick

No comments: