Monday, January 29, 2007

A Boy Named Brett

Dear Mr Trivia,

I have an unusual problem and I hope you can help. My Name is Brett and I have lived all over because I was an army brat. So I have seen many parts of the world and I am comfortable – and in fact enjoy – many different climes and cultures. When my Dad was stationed in, what was then, West Germany for about five years, I learnt fluency in German and still travel to Bonn yearly, to visit with my old friends.

So I feel I am reasonably well-travelled and educated. Anyways, recently I got married to a Canadian school-teacher called Maureen. We met, and in fact, live in Japan, where she teaches English to adults.

Maureen is smart, but not as well travelled as I, which is where, I believe the trouble starts. She doesn’t think my name, Brett, is particularly masculine. She says, and I quote: “Oh, it's like Lesley, Ashley, Jessie or Kim. It’s a unisex name.”

Now, wherever I have travelled, I have received compliments and praise for the obvious masculinity of the name Brett. In fact not one, but two couples of my acquaintance have named their newborn, boy-children after me.

I think it’s a very masculine name.

The root cause of the problem is the series Grace Under Fire (1993-1998) which, if you recall, was made in the wake of Roseanne and was another blue-collar, strong-woman sitcom. It starred the stand-up comic Brett Butler. And she is undeniably female.

Its on cable over here and I have taken to watching it in the early evening when Maureen comes home from teaching. I think Brett Butler has a droll delivery and fine womanly qualities. But as far as I know, she is one of the few women to be called by our name.

Can you help me, sir?

Brett Xenephontos
Tokyo, JAPAN


Dear Brett,

Just a guess, but I think Maureen might have intuited your attraction to Brett Butler’s “fine, womanly qualities” and she is getting back at you through passive-aggressive sniping.

I suggest you first take it up with her in a conversation and perhaps as a last resort, if conversation fails, consider watching another sitcom such as ACCORDING TO JIM ... kidding! (about ATJ, not about the talking).

Good Luck!

Mr Trivia



Mr Trivia would like to remind all couples that your partner’s idea of a sex symbol is every bit as ludicrous as your own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brett Butler was named after Lady Brett Ashley in "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway.

Mr Trivia said...

Thanks for your well-read contribution, Anonymous. I've never read any Hemingway - for some reason - and I am not kidding - they left him out of my 20th Century American Lit course at uni.

Naturally, I could get off the sofa and read him this evening if I wanted...